Thursday, April 22, 2021

My latest Hungarian inspirations

Sziasztok! Wow another video. Let's talk about it. 

I've never made such an elaborate video as this one.

The previous video I made went quite viral, as perspective, I don't care so much about views but my new videos have been getting 1,000-3,000 views, but this video got over 100,000 views. It surpassed a lot of videos I made back when I was relevant. So with this came an influx of 1500+ comments, messages, emails etc. I read everything and I do respond to a good amount. But the amount of ideas and requests that came in was numerous and so I had to share a few highlights. 

On the views, I would do all this for 5 views. If two people truly get a kick out of these videos then it's a raging success.

First of all, who else loves Apisz? I was reading some nostalgic articles about how much fun it is to go to Apisz to get your book covers and poster paint. It made me want to go there. I found this weird retro Apisz ad and it was so strange! I was immediately drawn to it. 


We love a Mezga Csalad moment. I originally wanted to say something like thanks for  'Kubokifying me with your messages" but I just didn't know how to make it work. So I said 'szepen lassan kikupaltok engem' because your inputs make me so culturally well-rounded!


No really, you make my household so infused with magyar that a hazisarkanyom rovasirasban nyavog a kadarkockajabol. The voiceover for sarkany was from the old lady in A Koleves from the Magyar Nepmesek. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al4DpKBL8o4


But turns out she's lying about not having anything to eat.

I tried to provide a disclaimer in the video that this is just my opinion on some really special Hungarian things, but to take my views with a grain of salt since I'm just a egyszeru csako from the del del del alfoldrol. I do live in Sydney but dropped the little street view man in some random spot...


...so you can finally see my surrounds. This is from Mad Max and that part of New South Wales doesn't even have red desert so sorry for the deception (because you would've believed me otherwise). 

And we start the video, featuring Hide the Pain Harold with the Handsome Squidward filter on. What a babe. 

The first segment of the video is on Nyelvception i.e. worlds within worlds / languages within languages. We see this footage of the lead singer from Hungarian band Carson Coma with some footage from Hobbihajotorott https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEnCWgUU1I. It's a cool video. Also I don't love Starbucks but I do like their mugs. 


Did you know there's egy-ket karomkodas in magyarul? Featuring a particularly graphic one from Petofi Sandor from Anyam Tyukja. I found out about this poem on National Vers Nap when many people were sharing poems on Insta etc.  


We talk about all the "sub-languages" and set up that we're going to try a few variations on my repetitive intro. Also I'm really sorry I say video wrong all the time. I honestly don't mean to!   

This Burgonya Kozpont reference is already dated lol. It's in reference to when Orban announced closer ties with Uzbekistan which included the establishment of a Potato Research Centre. Also, check out that Eszperente comment from Z M it's pretty good.


I hope you like my little stamps I made.

The outdated slang part was fun to make. The background music was from Hungarian Big Brother and also What Does The Fox Say in Hungarian. We have references to 'bookmarking the page', IWIW, epic swag, yolo and this csa csumi csa phrase. So cringe lol, also I changed the ratio of the video like it was 15 years ago, lowered the quality of the video and zoomed in. Why did we do that back then?

This stamp has Arena Plaza on it. It has it because Arena Plaza opened in like 2008 or 2009 I believe, so I'm only guessing it was a cool fresh place to go back in the day. Naon adom!  

Then we do the Eszperente section, where I panic because I'm being graded Dance Dance Revolution Style and can't think of anything to say. The voiceover when I'm panicking is from Carrie during the prom scene after the blood is dropped on her. I tried to find it in Hungarian and couldn't see it.


When about to panic, what do you do? Kezeket fel (which is also Eszperente). 



And then lastly it's swearing version. Who recognised the dude in this stamp?


After the last video I got a message from a gentleman who wrote to me some text about the principles behind swearing in Hungarian. It was so good I asked him if I could put it in a video. Then he tells me he's an author (Martonffy Andras), which makes sense because it was so well written. I made his text into some kind of mindfulness montage because it had a real zen, wise spirit what he wrote.



Then we move on to section two, which is about Hungary's underrated wildlife. And that's something I do believe is underrated. For example, I believe all ecosystems are equally rich in life and wetlands/plains are extremely fascinating. 

In this part I was simply minding my own business birdwatching in the Hortobagy when I stumbled upon some of Hungary's other iconic animals from Macskafogo. I actually still haven't seen Macskafogo, only clips of it, but it looks sensational. 



I then reveal a well-kept secret that I'm a big fan of animals and we spin back in time to some past animals. We went waaaay back to these two, which from a video from several years ago. I still remember shooting it quite well.


We love a fiahordo-gorugrany, then I give my convoluted versions for the wombat and the echidna. I feel guilty because I understand the logic behind these long names is to use very pure Hungarian words and I just didn't do that. I'm sure someone will tell me off for it haha.


I point out that in Australia our national identity is very attached to animals, where it isn't quite so central to the identity in European countries I think. Here are some of the animals which feature on the coins from one cent to one dollar. (we no longer use the one and two cent coins in Australia). They look so good tho)

We go down the line on a few amazing Hungarian animals. The song for the Magyar Szurke is the Baywatch theme since they were running in water in slow-mo.


But lately I've been so intrigued by your connection to the bin chicken... ugh the stork. The Bin Chicken is a thing in Australia, it's actually called an Ibis and it got its nickname because it steals food from bins all the time. Some people think they're freaky looking. I think they're cool.

And I talk about a few amazing things I love about storks. I really wanted to say kulipintyo.

But I especially love Golya for their contribution to the Spanish arts scene... argh wait that Goya. I actually say Golya wrong all the time and people make fun of me. So had to shout that one out.


Speaking of things I can't say: legkiszolgaltatottabbak! I remember seeing this word in a headline while watching the news, and it's just visually very intimidating. Where Monika and I were good mates in the last video, I'll never forgive her for shaming me for being unable to say it. Jk she's still my godmother.


I really like that part. But now a big round of applause for Golyak (and yes that's a paining by Goya in the background) 


I LOVE that chattering noise they make. And I made it bleed into the military/spy/secret affair music that started the next segment. 


It's an update on the ausztral-hungarian empire.


We talk about he genius soft power move of infiltrating Big Cola and implanting these cokes labelled with Máté

But then we talk about the actually shocking event of a big bank here putting a Hungarian song in their major ad campaign. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42Ndp6JWh6U

I thought it was interesting when this ad came out that a good amount of Hungarians suggested that they used a Hungarian song so they can not pay for it. I've worked for a lot of banks, and I'm not going to say they're pillars of ethical conduct, but I don't picture them attempting that for an ad campaign. Our banking sector is so regulated and our financial institutions are so risk-averse that I just don't picture them trying that. Someone did accuse them of doing it on Twitter and I was glad they confirmed they paid for the license and got approval etc.


I love that they used the song. It makes the ad really stand out on Aus tv to be honest. 

But more importantly nem latod a pokot a pokhalo mogott? How impressive is this spider web? It is sculptural art. The song is Pok by Carson Coma https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=carson+coma+p%C3%B3k

So there you have it! Hope you liked this goofy vid :)


1 comment:

  1. Jó volt olvasni a videód hátteréről! :) Köszönjük a lelkiismeretes munkád.

    ReplyDelete

Ausztrál Nylevlecke 21

Hello again everyone! What a pleasure to start the new year with you.  If you're game, let's go through the latest video which I upl...