Saturday, July 18, 2020

Ausztrál Tom - The Joy of Learning Hungarian transcript

New video. Over the years, many teachers have written to me saying they’ve used the videos as classroom material. What an honour! Of course, my initial reaction was ‘why on earth??’ because I wasn’t sure what was genuinely educational about these videos. But they’ve explained to me so many creative ways they spice up the classroom using them to complement a broader theme.

So in case it’s ever handy or saves time, here is the full transcript of the The Joy of Learning Hungarian video: DOWNLOAD

Please suspend judgement about my translation! I’m working with diminished tools :D

As background, this video was only loosely scripted then generally adlib. So when I was transcribing it and translating it, I was of course astonished at some pretty sloppy phrasing and repetition of certain words. But such is any natural speech! If only we all spoke like the conversations in language textbooks.

Secondly, yes some slang snuck in there but what bothersome terms I used. Things like… ‘it turns out that…’, ‘don’t take it from me’, ‘it can take a hot minute’, ‘the fun is in the challenge’, ‘you’re in for a wild ride’, ‘but you already knew that one’. I could write a blog post on each one and my journey to find equivalent translations! (I bet you could translate the whole video simultaneously).

That’s all. Hope helpful J

1 comment:

  1. indeed this blog is really helpful as the students have to manage a lot of things in such cases blog are like this are to be appreciated.


    Best student accommodation for Chinese Students close to De Montfort University

    ReplyDelete

Ausztrál Nylevlecke 21

Hello again everyone! What a pleasure to start the new year with you.  If you're game, let's go through the latest video which I upl...